This simple recipe of clams cooked in a spicy Thai red curry sauce takes advantage of prepared Thai curry paste. We call for red curry paste but use whatever type you prefer. This recipe also works with about 4 pounds of mussels. Serve with crusty bread to soak up any leftover sauce.
- 5 pounds littleneck, manila or other small clams
- 1 14-ounce can “lite” coconut milk
- ⅓ cup lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoons Thai red curry paste, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Wash clams thoroughly to remove any grit.
- Bring coconut milk, lime juice, wine, brown sugar, curry paste, garlic and fish sauce to a boil in a Dutch oven or other large pot, stirring occasionally. Add the clams, tossing to combine. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the clams are open, 7 to 10 minutes. (Discard any unopened clams.)
- Stir in cilantro. Taste the broth and adjust the flavors to your taste. Serve in deep bowls with lime wedges for squeezing.