• 1 medium head cabbage (3 pounds)
• 1/2 pound uncooked ground beef
• 1/2 pound uncooked ground pork
• 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
• 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon snipped fresh dill or dill weed
• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
• 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1. Cook cabbage in boiling water just until outer leaves pull away easily from head. Set aside 12 large leaves for rolls. In a small bowl, combine the beef, pork, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, onion, rice, parsley, salt, dill and cayenne; mix well.
2. Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each leaf, making a V-shaped cut. Place about 1/4 cup meat mixture on a cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides. Beginning from the cut end, roll up. Repeat.
3. Slice the remaining cabbage; place in an ovenproof Dutch oven. Arrange the cabbage rolls seam side down over sliced cabbage. Combine the tomatoes, sugar and remaining tomato sauce; pour over the rolls. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until cabbage rolls are tender.
Yield: 6 servings.