Farofa is an essential condiment to many Brazilian dishes. It’s made with manioc meal or the ground root of the cassava or manioc plant. Usually mixed with butter, bacon and fresh parsley or cilantro, this is a great side dish to go with grilled meat, with any variation of beans or with roasted turkey or chicken. Here’s the recipe.
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 teaspoon green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley; chopped
- 17 ounces plain bread crumb
- 3 medium eggs, broiled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- In a frying pan, heat the butter until melted then add the bacon. Fry until crispy then add the garlic and the onion. Fry until golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes, green onion, parsley and salt. Mix it all together and let it fry for 1 minute.
- Add the bread crumbs and let it fry for one more minute and mix well with the other ingredients. Finally add the chopped broiled egg, lightly mix and it is ready to serve.
Recipe by: Raísa Latisa